Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring in the air, mud in the shoes



Six days ago, school was cancelled as a foot of snow fell to the ground. What a difference a week makes. The snow has melted and turned the yard into a soggy sponge. The sandy area where the pool will soon be, aka The Pit, is a child's paradise and a mommy's nemesis. It is 20 feet x 18 feet of puddle-filled sand, perfect for building castles and mud cookies. However, when the sun is shining, and the thermometer registers 60 degrees, there's no better place to play, especially after a long New England winter. Yesterday I took Jacey and Devin to Target to stock up on jump ropes, bubbles, chalk, a Skip-it, and a basketball - all the springtime necessities. We spent both days outside breathing in the fresh air. The windows were thrown open so that the house, too, could rid itself of the cold virus that has been ricocheting around here for the last couple of months. Todd and I were very impressed with Jacey's basketball skills and tried, unsuccessfully, to get her to agree to sign up for a team. Devin got a new helmet so she could learn how to ride her bike. She loved the helmet and wanted to wear it the entire time she was outside. Aside from her bike riding and scooter skills, she demonstrated her running and dancing skills, all while wearing the helmet. We all went for a walk around the neighborhood - Jacey rode her scooter, Bryn and Tori rode their bikes, I pushed Devin in the stroller, and Todd threw snowballs at everyone as he walked along. He was very proud that he managed to pummell everyone, including Devin, the child who was strapped to her stroller with no means of escape. After hours of playing, a big dinner, and long, hot showers, the exhausted girls went right to sleep.


A really great event took place today. As the girls and I dug through the boxes of summer clothes looking for our capris, I spied a pair of mine that I bought in England 9 years ago. I haven't fit into them since the birth of Bryn. I gained kind of a lot of weight while pregnant with Bryn. OK, I gained a ton of weight. From about the fifth month, Todd called me Akebono. If you are not familiar with Akebono, click here for a picture. Envision my head on that body for a visual you won't soon forget. The problem was that I was never weighed at any of my prenatal appointments. It's kind of like the philosophical question, "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" For me it went more like this, "if a pregnant woman eats vat after vat of Froot Loops (imported to the UK at $8.00 per box) and no one is there to monitor her, will she gain any weight?" The answer to both of those questions is a resounding "YES". I seem to have drifted off topic. What was I talking about? Oh yes, the capris. I held the British pair in one hand and my comfy, cotton pair in the other. I decided to try on the British pair.....and they fit! Months of worshiping at the Billy Blank's Temple of TaeBo has finally paid off.

The point of all of this is that we had a fantastic, fun-filled, family weekend.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jill said...

how FUN !!!!! TOTALLLLY love your blog header, WAY cute