Monday, April 6, 2009

Symphony

Why is there a picture of Darth Vader at the top of this post? I'll tell you. On Saturday, Todd and I took J, B, and T to the Boston Symphony Orchestra's family concert at Symphony Hall. As is usually the case when we go to incredible events like this, Todd's Mom bought the tickets (thank you, Mom!). She, Jim, and I were originally going to take J and B, but since she's still not feeling 100% better, Todd and Tori came instead. I had never been to Symphony Hall so I couldn't wait to go. It was beautiful! The family concerts are one hour long, the perfect length for little ones. This year's theme was "dance...march". The narrator explained the differences between the beats (1,2 for marches and 1,2,3 for waltzes) and the orchestra (the FULL orchestra) played various dances and marches. We heard "On the Beautiful Blue Danube", "Aunt Marge's Waltz" from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and "Stars and Stripes Forever", among others. We all agreed that our favorite, by far, the "The Imperial March" from Star Wars by John Williams. I glanced at Todd when the piece started, knowing that his eyes would be sparkling. I whispered to the girls that I could totally see an 8 year old Todd lying on the floor of his room, marching his Stormtroopers in pursuit of Luke Skywalker. If you know Todd, you know that he looks almost exactly the same as he did when he was a boy (except for the facial hair), so the scene was easy to imagine. We took the girls to lunch before picking up Devin from Marilyn and Jim's. She was very unhappy to see us and did not want to come home. We are very lucky that we have people to watch our girls that love them as much as Mom and Jim do. Thank you from all 6 of us!
Edited to add: After I posted this, Tori wanted to see what a Stormtrooper looked like. I found this clip on YouTube. HA!!!

No comments: