Monday, August 3, 2009

Beach day


The girls and I were looking forward to a beach day, but we wanted to try a new spot. We wanted one that would not be crowded since I was going to be on my own with them and I wanted to be able to see all of them at all times. I also wanted small waves and shallow water. A good crab catching area was also a must. I Googled and Googled and found the perfect spot - Gooseberry Beach in Newport, RI. The sky was overcast when we left, but the Weather Channel promised that the sun would shine, so off we went. When we pulled into the parking lot, my heart sank. The lot was deserted so I thought the beach was closed. A teenage attendant approached the car and I asked if the beach was open. He assured me that it was, but a thick fog had rolled in so there weren't many people there. He also said that there was a lot of seaweed "for, like, the first time ever". We didn't care about either of those issues. We had food and toys and we were ready to have some fun. There were only 2 other families on the beach, which made me very happy. Throughout the day, more families arrived, but the beach never became crowded like other Newport beaches usually are.


We dropped our gear in the unbelievably soft sand and I let my feral children loose. Bryn and Tori immediately went to the water while Jacey and Devin stayed on the beach to build a volcano surrounded by sandcastles and a moat. Then we ate.

After lunch the girls wanted to catch crabs. We walked along the beach towards some rocks and I stopped to admire this magnificent summer cottage.


At first, the girls couldn't find any crabs, but Bryn thought to flip a rock. Sure enough, the crabs emerged and ran as fast as their legs could carry them. Bryn "the brave" was the only one willing to actually touch the crabs. Each of the other girls cried, "Over here!", "I see one!", "Bryyyyyynnnnn - hurry up!"






They were all very happy and could have continued crabbing for hours, but I was ready to stop. I knew what I had to do. "Who wants ice cream?" I asked. Four heads snapped up and and 8 legs flew across the rocks with the speed and agility of the crabs they had just caught. We went to the snack shop, stopping at the outdoor showers to rinse off along the way. When we arrived at the beach in the morning, I noticed a boogie board lying in the sand a few feet from our camp. When we were eating our ice cream, it was still there. No one had come to claim it, so I declared it to be abandoned and asked the girls if they wanted to use it. They were thrilled because they never had a boogie board before- and it was free. Upon further inspection, I knew why it had been abandoned. It had holes, peeling paint, and was in rough shape overall. Like I said, the girls never had one before, so the holes and peeling paint went unnoticed. They each had their turn "catching a wave", even though there were no waves. Devin tried it, but once she rolled off and face planted into the water, she decided that catching a wave was not for her.


We spent the rest of the afternoon swimming, surfing, terrorizing playing with their crabs, and chasing seagulls. Devin particularly enjoyed this. She raised her arm in the air and bellowed, "for Narnia!" as she charged the birds. She has never seen the movie Narnia, but she must have seen that part on a commercial, because she often says it when charging at a sibling with her foam sword. Or seagulls on a beach with her clenched fist. The birds have clearly seen many kids in their days, because they stared at Devin, cocked their heads, and didn't move until she was inches away from them. They then took off and Devin squealed.

When it was finally time to go, we dragged the newly acquired boogie board to the car . We brought extra clothes to change into after showering and coasted home with Michael Buble.

Here's a short clip of Tori working up the nerve to hold a crab....


video

3 comments:

The Widower Dad said...

Ha! "feral children" that's hilarious. I'll have to borrow that one for my pack. Sounds like a wonderful day!

Jill said...

what a GREAT day !!!!! their lil speedo bathin suits remind me of my childhood ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the squeaks and giggles. I had to look up the word 'feral'. what a great word. love ya.Vik