Monday, August 24, 2009

Canada: Sunday and Monday


While driving to Canada, we passed a sign that said something about a cheese factory. Todd and Mom each made a mental note to find more about the factory and go there as soon as conveniently possible. We also read about a regatta that was to be held on Lake Rideau the weekend of August 15 & 16. Both activities were fairly nearby, so on Sunday we planned to go to the cheese factory in the morning, go back to the house for lunch, and check out the regatta in the afternoon.
We arrived at the cheese "factory" and learned that they no longer produced any cheese on site, but they did show a video on a small TV demonstrating how it was made when it was made there. It was kind of disappointing, because it would have been really fun to see the process. While they may not have made cheese on site, they certainly sold it! We bought a variety of cheeses and ate them.

We didn't get to the regatta until very late in the day, which was just fine with me because we were able to park very close to the action and pay a heavily discounted rate. We saw 2 very cool hydroplane races..

and posed for a family pic....

My little fish spent the rest of the day in the lake back at the house. They showed Todd the various kinds of jumps they had created with their friends during the summer, such as the "butt slam". Of course, Todd had to try and replicate them, but couldn't quite get the correct form. I don't think I have laughed as hard in a very long time. There's nothing like watching one's usually serious husband act like a fool with his daughters.

After breakfast on Monday, the girls and I played air hockey and Foosball in the basement. Tori suggested that we have a "Mother - Father Championship". She ran upstairs to get Todd and then the games began. I don't like to boast or brag , so I'll simply say that I won. Both games. It was awesome. I don't have a picture to commemorate the event, so I Googled and found one.
There were enormous waves in the lake during the day, so we were in the water for hours. So long, in fact, that when I went to bed that night I felt as though I was still rocking. Tori attached a boogie board to her wrist and spent the entire afternoon struggling to climb on top of it, standing for 1 to 3 seconds before crashing back in to the water. She had the time of her life. Jacey, Devin, and Bryn rode the waves on double wide noodles. I tied a tube to the back of the pontoon boat so I could float along with them. Each wave brought screams of delight from each girl (and occasionally me). It was a fantastic, glorious afternoon and the day they still talk about most.

After dinner Monday night Todd built a campfire so we could roast marshmallows and make smores and smoes (a smore minus the graham cracker). Todd whittled some sticks for us while we enjoyed the fire and sang songs.

Devin was exhausted by the end of the camp fire and wanted to go to sleep. While I brought her to bed, Todd took the other girls down to the dock to gaze at the stars, which were breathtaking! Before I joined them, Gwen told me about a camp game she knew called "Ha". To play, each person lies on the ground (or dock) with his or her head on another's tummy to form a circle. Each person takes a turn to say, "ha", thereby bouncing the head of the person who's on that tummy. Get it? Simply saying "ha" wasn't good enough for my silly, overtired, sugar-filled family. "Ha" led to "hohohehehaha" and escalated from there. I had the unfortunate experience of resting my head on Bryn's rock hard stomach. The girl doesn't have an ounce of body fat on her so her giggles shook my head as if it was affixed to a jackhammer. When I pointed that out to her, she laughed even harder and nearly catapulted me to the moon. They were absolutely hilarious, as was my husband.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome game! I love it! cool auntie gwen. vicki