Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Days with Devin


For the first time ever, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I am home with just one child for 6 hours. This has never happened before. In the past, I have always had either a younger sibling to tend to, or I've had to stay close to home in order to be back for the kindergarten drop off bus. Admittedly, many of my days with Devin are spent doing household chores. She doesn't seem to mind, though. In fact, seeing the lobsters and riding the shopping cart at Shaw's are 2 of her favorite activities. She also enjoys stacking underwear and matching socks as they come out of the dryer. We take lots of walks - and she talks. And talks. And talks. As we were walking last week we passed a purple house. She said, "I have an idea. Let's talk about all the different color houses we see. OK, Mommy? I like that purple house. Do you like that purple house?"

One of our favorite things to do is cook. Devin is the egg cracker. I am the shell pick-outer. She gets better and better with each egg she breaks.


Of course, we eat our creations, too. This is not what we made in the above pictures.

If I'm doing something she can't help with, she still likes to be nearby. Today she played with a ball of pizza dough while I loaded the dishwasher and cleaned the kitchen.
We had spectacular weather last week, and the outdoors beckoned. Devin and I went to one of her favorite places for a picnic. We looked at lots of animals, picked out 2 pumpkins, and played on the playground.


The very best part of being home with Devin is catching moments like the video below. The sun went behind a cloud and she thought that if she sang "You Are My Sunshine", it would reappear. It worked!



video

2 comments:

Melissa said...

FAVORITE.POST.EVER. I especially love the video and the picture of the two of you.

Anonymous said...

How sweet was all that stuff about Devin. She looks almost exactly like Bryn, it's amazing. Any you look so pretty too Maddy! love. V.