Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Experiment

I'm going to start by saying that I love my family very much.  From Todd to Devin and the 3 in between, they bring me more joy than I could ever imagine.  I'm concerned, though, because lately they all seem to have contracted the same condition.  No, it's not the flu - seasonal or swine variety.  What the members of my family suffer from is Ididn'tseeititis.  It is characterized by extreme tunnel vision coupled with acute paralyzation of the hands.   I'm willing to bet that mine is not the only family dealing with this particular ailment and that it  runs rampant throughout households all over America.  Ididn'tseeititis manifests itself in various forms. You may notice a book on the steps, a sock in the middle of the bedroom floor, or a Polly Pocket on the kitchen counter.  In the mind of  a healthy person , aka a mom, these things clearly do not belong where they have landed.  A person suffering with Ididntseeititis will ignore  the book, sock, and Polly Pocket.  There is no malice aforethought, he or she simply does not see the misplaced items and will not even think about picking them up. 
To test how deeply affected my family has become, I decided to conduct a litle experiment.  On November 3, I went into the bathroom and saw this...

I was about to change the roll, but I stopped.  I wanted to see who would be the first to either change the roll or at least ask me to change it for them.  Here's what I saw November 4...

On November 5, there were still 2 empty rolls.  The full roll had been dropped to the floor and left there.  On this day, I was greeted with a gift left by the Phantom Pooper.  She is deathly afraid of the toilet overflowing and will not flush it.  Ever.  I call this person the Phantom Pooper because I'm met with blank stares and shrugging shoulders when I ask who left the poop in the toilet.   Anyway, here's the picture...

On November 6, the roll had been lifted from the floor and placed on the bath tub, mere inches from the holder.  Close.  Oh so close!

On to November 7.  The roll was just about gone.  What would they do?  I was  giddy with anticipation.

November 8: *sigh* Another full roll sat on the back of the toilet.  There were 2 empty rolls and 1 roll that was not quite gone, but gone enough to warrant a new roll. 

As I approached the bathroom on November 9, my spirits soared when I saw this.  Had my family been cured?  I was so hopeful.....

Alas, it wasn't to be. 

I asked Todd what happened to all the empty rolls in the bathroom.  He said that he threw them away.  Then I asked him why he didn't change the empty roll on the holder.  He replied, ....wait for it......."I didn't see it."
Baby steps, right?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Hilarious!!!! I'm thinking of trying your experiment here but I am afraid that Brady will have fun trying to throw a new roll into the toilet bowl.

The Widower Dad said...

I literally laughed out loud; thank you.

I did a similar experiment, only moving various objects from their misplaced drop point to a precarious location just outside the owners bedroom door. It's amazing how much stuff will pile up and get stepped over, but never put away.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god sista, so darn funny!